Getting to know….Trent Cooper, Road Construction & Maintenance Trainee, Lendlease Kalgoorlie
Nudge has been working with Lendlease Kalgoorlie for over 12 months to provide a mentoring programme to their existing workers who were being upskilled through a traineeship pathway.
We were then asked to assist Lendlease to source, prepare and support a young, local Aboriginal person to undertake a Certificate III in Road Construction & Maintenance. Trent Cooper was discovered through our community engagement and recruitment process and has now been on the job for 5 months.
Trent is a 22 year old Wangai man with a young family based in Kalgoorlie. His partner and daughter are extremely important to him and outside of family he enjoys fishing and football.
We asked Trent a few questions about his time with Lendlease so far and a few questions to get to know him a little better.
- What made you apply for this Civil Construction Traineeship?
I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to learn some new skills.
- What’s the best thing you have worked on or been involved with during your traineeship?
Basically just making roads safe for everyone to get home safe to their families.
- What would you say to other employers who are thinking about bringing more young people into their business- what will this traineeship do for your career/life?
I would say to go for it. The traineeship has given me a really enjoyable job and some life long mates.
- What is your favourite family tradition?
I really enjoy going out bush and learning my culture.
- If you could travel to any place with no budget restrictions, where would you go and why?
USA because I would like to go watch a NBA game and also a NFL game.
- If you could splurge on 1 must-have item, what would it be?
A brand new car.
- Do you have a favourite season and why?
Winter because that is footy season and I enjoy the cold weather.